Caprese Salad What you need:
• 2 Tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick – Go crazy! Try a new variety of tomato!
• 7oz of Extra Firm Tofu, pressed then sliced 1/4 inch thick
• 1/2 cup fresh Basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to drizzle
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
You definitely want to press the extra water out of the tofu. Our favorite method? Wrapping the block of tofu in 2 sheets of paper towels, then wrapping a clean dishtowel around that. Put it on a plate, place a cast iron skillet—or other heavy object —on top and set aside. The paper towels and dishtowels will soak up the extra water. You can press it for 15 minutes or several hours. The longer it is pressed, though, the drier and firmer the tofu will become. We think it really takes on a nice mozzarella-esque texture.
Layer alternating slices of tomatoes and tofu, then top with basil leaves. Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Behold the power of the tomato!